Bringing a trust board to an end
Applying to have a board dissolved
If your charitable trust board is no longer operating, you can apply to us to have it dissolved and removed from the register.
Before requesting that a charitable trust board be dissolved, you must deal with any outstanding assets and/or liabilities in the manner specified in its rules or trust deed.
Read section 26 of the Charitable Trust Act 1957 for more information .
Information you’ll need to confirm
A charitable trust board applying to be dissolved must confirm that it:
- is no longer operating
- has no assets – all surplus assets have been disposed of as required by the trust deed/rules and the Charitable Trusts Act 1957
- has no liabilities (debts) including contingent liabilities
- is not a party to any legal proceedings or disputes.
How to apply to dissolve a trust board
To apply online
Before applying online to dissolve a charitable trust board, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Office
- authority to act on behalf of the charitable trust board
Then follow these steps:
- Log in to your online services account.
- On the dashboard, from 'My Businesses', select the charitable trust board you wish to dissolve.
- On the 'View Details' page, from the 'Maintain Charitable Trust Board' menu select 'Request to Dissolve a Charitable Trust Board'.
- Confirm the required conditions for dissolving the board (as stated above), and that a resolution has been passed to apply for dissolution.
- Once you have confirmed the above, complete the ‘Signatory Details’ section and click the 'Submit' button.
To submit your application manually
- Download Form CT5 – Request to dissolve a charitable trust board.
- Complete the form, confirming that the trust board has ceased operating.
Send the completed form, and any supporting documents to us.
By post to —
Private Bag 92061
Victoria Street West
or by email to email@example.com
What happens next
Your application is reviewed to ensure all requirements are met. If your application is accepted:
- The trust board is immediately removed from the register.
- You are notified of the outcome of the request.
- Public notice of the dissolution will appear in the New Zealand Gazette and Companies Office website.