When a charitable trust board decides to change its name, it must apply to us to have the name updated on the register. The name change does not legally take effect until this has been done.
Choosing your new name
The name you choose cannot be identical or almost identical to that of another charitable trust board, or other body corporate (for example, a company or incorporated society), unless the organisation has given its written consent to us.
How to be sure the name is available
You can search for a charitable trust board on this website, or use the search options on the Companies Office websites to perform a broader search of body corporates and other entity types.Search for trust boards Search for companies Search other registers
Other restrictions on names
- The name you choose cannot contain certain words (for example, ANZAC, Royal) the use of which are prohibited by other pieces of legislation. Learn more about this on the Companies Register website.
- We may also reject names that are considered to be offensive or not in the public interest.
How to change your trust board's name
To update your trust board's name online
If you're updating your details online, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Office
- authority to manage information for your charitable trust board.
Then follow these steps:
- Log in to your online services account.
- On the dashboard, from your 'My Businesses' list, select the charitable trust board you wish to update.
- On the 'View Details' page, select the 'General Details' tab, and click the 'Change Name' button.
- Enter the proposed new name, and to confirm it can be used, click 'Name Availability Check'.
- If you have documentation to support your application, click 'Upload' to attach documents. Please note, these documents will not be available for public view.
- Complete the signatory details and click on 'Submit'.
To submit your request manually
- Download Form CT3 – Change of name, variation of trust or alteration of rules of a charitable trust board.
- Complete the form, making sure the confirmation box is ticked if the alteration involves a change of name for your charitable trust board.
- Attach any supporting documents (for example, if you need permission to use a particular name, confirmation that you have this permission).
Send your completed form to us.
By post to —
Private Bag 92061
Victoria Street West
or by email to email@example.com
What happens next
Reviewing your application may take up to three working days.
A change in the name of a charitable trust board takes effect from the date we update the register. At that time we'll issue an updated Certificate of Incorporation.
The name change doesn't affect the rights or liabilities of the charitable trust board, and doesn't affect legal proceedings by, or against, the board. Legal proceedings taken against the trust board under its former name may be continued against it under its new name.