A charitable trust board must provide the Registrar with details of any changes to the trust, or its rules, within a month of the change being approved.
Changes to the board's rules
Typically these are administrative, such as a change in trustees or officers, procedures relating to appointments, resignations, meetings, and changes to the powers of a board under section 23(2) of the Charitable Trusts Act 1957 (the Act).
Changes to the trust
These changes are more significant, often involving property. They must be certified by a trustee or a member of the governing committee of the society, with the following statement placed on the document (usually on the cover page) under section 23 (1) of the Act:
“I hereby certify that this is a correct copy of the trust deed or rules of the [Name of Trust Board].”
What you'll need to provide
When registering changes of this type, you'll need to complete and submit the following form.
You'll also need to submit a copy of the updated deed or rules with the alterations highlighted, or a copy of the rule (or rules) that have been changed.
A statutory declaration is required as part of the application.
How to register a change to a trust or its rules
To make the changes online
To make changes online to a trust or its rules, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Office
- authority to manage information on behalf of your charitable trust board.
Step by step
Then follow these steps:
- Log in to your online services account.
- On the dashboard, from 'My Businesses' select the charitable trust board for which you are lodging a rule change or alteration of trust deed.
- On the 'View Details' page, select 'Maintain Charitable Trust Board', and 'Lodge Variation of Trust or Alteration of Rules'.
- Select as the document type 'Variation of Trust Document/Alteration of Rules'.
- Upload the new trust deed or rules document and any supporting documents.
- Select 'Submit'.
To notify us of the change manually
- Download Form CT3 – Change of name, variation of trust or alteration of rules of a charitable trust board.
- Complete the form.
Send the form, along with the updated deed or rules, and any supporting documents to us.
By post to —
Private Bag 92061
Victoria Street West
or by email to email@example.com
What happens next
Reviewing your request may take up to 3 working days. You'll receive an email or letter confirming that the change has been registered.